Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Baby Update

Because we are in week 42 of Shannon's pregnancy, we traveled to Greenville to try some natural induction remedies. We spent the whole day and wrapped up the methods at 7pm with no results. After discussing things, we decided that since nothing was happening, we would travel back home to Asheville, pick up the boys and sleep at home in our own beds.
At about 11pm, Shannon was starting to have some contractions. This was nothing new, so I was timing them and watching Shannon's responses. By 11:35, we decided it was time to head back to the birth center and so we called Ginny Landrum to come stay with the boys so that we could head out.

Ginny arrived within 10 minutes, but those 10 minutes were very productive. Shannon gave me one of those looks, like, "we're not going to make it." Shan's contractions picked up and by midnight, it was obvious that the baby would be delivered in our home. Our midwife was planning to have us jump in the car and meet us half way, but when we decided that we were staying put, there was nothing she could do but coach me through the birth process.

God miraculously allowed me to hold it together and after 3-5 minutes of "pushing" contractions, I delivered for Shannon, Rayne Evangeline Hannah (our first daughter) at 12:34am this morning. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever done. Her little head came out and my heart started racing. I said something about the large amount of jet black hair she had and remember thinking to myself, "I don't see the birth cord anywhere near her head; good!" Next came her little shoulder, which I helped come through, and the baby came right out. As Shannon began to cry with relief, I turned my attention to continually getting the mucus out of the baby's mouth and nose with a bulb plunge. She gave out a tiny gargle and I knew things were great.

There's so much more to the story, but those details should suffice for now. We'll get official weights and measurements later. Thanks for all your prayers.

Pictures to come!!

9 comments:

MahshieMonaLisa Cooks said...

WOW! what a story! good job Kurt! Good job Shannon! Congrats!

Unknown said...

Congratulations guys! Now if you had delivered the baby while driving and maintaining a proper 10 and 2 hand hold on the steering wheel I would be impressed! :-)

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! Can't wait to see her. Of course, Mission is like 10 min. away from your house, but you wanted to be the hero...that's okay. Just one question: what do you do with all the other...stuff when you are at home? EWW!

JML said...

Hee Hee Hee Hoooo! Very Nicely done.

Brent Rood said...

Congrats, Kurt. I'm just glad it was a smooth, no-complications pregnancy. God was gracious.

abc said...

Dude, very awesome news for you. However, as far as I'm concerned the only type of "crowning" I ever want to see is one that involves a new king or queen. I don't think I'll ever be able to shake your hand again!

Unknown said...

Derek and I are so happy for you. It couldn't have been done without God's hand guiding yours. She is most definitely a blessed baby! Congratulations!!!!

The Dees said...

Oh my goodness! Almost unbelievable! What an amazing experience for all of you! Thank God for keeping both of you "calm" and collected enough to deliver sweet Rayne. I'm so glad to hear that it went well, and (I'm assuming) that you are ALL still doing well. BIG HUGS TO ALL except sweet tiny Rayne who gets a little kiss on her mass of dark hair. The Dees

Jane said...

God is good!

I LOVE the name Evangeline... my mom had a VERY dear friend with the same name. Jane or Elizabeth would have been my first two choices tho'! lol!

Let me know if there is anything I can do for down here!