Friday, August 8, 2008

The Urban South

Missio Dei moved into our new building at the beginning of July in time to gear up from a core group to a church "in the city, for the city." But moving from our West Asheville location to the edge of downtown is causing me to pray very differently.

Our building is located just two doors down from the Western Carolina Rescue Mission and the Labor Ready Building. We're around the block from the Salvation Army and from the ABCCM (a relief organization funded by many of the churches in Asheville and around the county). That said, most of the physical needs of the homeless can be met (food, clothes, work, a place to sleep), and yet, on nearly a daily basis, I've got people showing up needing some assistance.

I've not wanted to turn anyone down, but as the pastor of a church start up with little financial stability and as the father of three kids, I'm going broke trying to help.

Thankfully, we've got some big hearted creative thinkers at Missio and we are develop a system to build bridges and restore the dignity to many of our friends on the streets.

My confusion, anger, and frustration with the problem grew today on my walk from the building to meet one of our guys for lunch (only about a 6 block walk).

First, I ran into a guy whom I bought lunch for a few weeks ago. I was glad I could remember his name and when I asked him how he was doing, he tapped on his ear and walked away saying, "I'm on the phone." He was talking on a mobile phone with an earpiece. Too poor to buy food, but not to own a mobile phone.

Then, after about a block, I watched as three police darted across Patton Ave. to arrest a homeless man who was being fed by someone sitting outside a restaurant. The guy offering the food tried to defend the guy eating, but the police instructed him to "keep your mouth shut...sir."

About 2 blocks later I saw a guy sitting in front of the Sister's McMullen with a cup, begging for change. Having just watched a dude get cuffed for getting some food and knowing that it's against the law in our city to panhandle, I thought I'd let the guy know he needed to watch out. As I dropped some change into his cup I told him, "Be careful, the police are right down the street making arrests." At that point, the dude started yelling, "well then get going...I know what I'm doing...just because you're white and I'm black don't mean anything." I thought to myself, "your welcome."

All in all, I ran into a guy I helped who doesn't seem to need help, a guy who was being helped that constituted a crime, and a guy who resists when help is offered. All this in a 10 minute walk in the urban South.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go after it my friend!

Ryan said...

so what do we do? tell people it's their own fault they are poor and needy? do fund raisers to raise money for these people, only to be squandered away? or drop tracts in their change cups? and if none of those sound appealing, do we invite them to church saying, "come to church, you'll find real satisfaction there"... i don't know how many people will actually come. i think i'm frustrated because i don't know how to help the situation.